Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shimmering Winter Light


Sometimes you are lucky enough to come upon the prettiest of scenes quite by chance. 

Imagine, if you will, that it is icy cold even though the sun is shining and the sky is blue. 

It is the end of a short December day and the sun is low on the horizon. Light plays in amongst the tall russet grass, illuminating the silky white floss.


 The wind stirs and the grass sways and bends. If you close your eyes for a moment, the churning grass sounds almost like summer rain.

 Then the wind rises further sending the grass into a soft abstract. Hundreds of dashes of clear white light shimmer and sparkle like diamonds.




13 comments:

  1. Jennifer ... those are my best moments .. totally unexpected by sheer luck times .. this is gorgeous and it almost makes me shiver with how beautiful it is : ) I can't have enough of those types of moments .. it makes you feel like you have captured pure magic, doesn't it ?
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Jennifer, love how the sunlight sparkles on the grasses. We have a similar grass and I also took a few photos of the sunlight playing on the seedheads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people bemoan winter, but it offers beauty to rival any hotly colored blooms. Your photos certainly capture it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I much prefer taking photos in the autumn and winter for just this reason...you catch glimpses (espy) of pure magic! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sigh" ... beautiful! You need to come and take pictures of my garden in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, Sounds like fun! I would be happy to take pictures of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunlight in winter is a beautiful thing: those grasses really are shimmering. You captured the effect perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer. These are the best images. I just love the grasses shimmering in the light. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb photography, Jennifer - absolutely enchanting accompaniment to your poetic words! Truly WONDERFUL...thank you! As other readers have commented, "pure magic!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed your photos tremendously. I've added your blog to the sidebar of my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment.